Introducing new tool: Sync Filter Manager
This tool was requested by my fellow MVP’s Scott Sewell and Joel Lindstrom from Customer Effective. All credit goes to them for the quality of this tool as they tested it, provided great feedback to have the best tool possible.
Having said that, what does the tool do?
It allows you to manage filters applied to synchronize contact and activity data with CRM for Outlook or Server sync (Outlook filters) or data synchronized offline by CRM for Outlook(offline filters).
Traditionally these filters are managed by users. This tool allows an administrator to globally manage user filters.
Here is what the tool looks like
With this tool, you can:
- List and delete System Synchronization filter: These filters applies to all users and users can’t change them.
- List, delete, define as default and apply Synchronization Filters Templates to users: These filters applies to users you choose and users can delete these filters if they want to. (Note: Although there can be multiple filters per entity listed in the Default Local Data Rules, CRM only allows one rule per entity to have the “Is Default” attribute set to “True” - Only Default Local Data Rules where the “Is Default” attribute is “True” will be copied to the selected user when a user is ‘created’ or ‘reset’)
- List, enable, disable and delete Users synchronization filters: They are the filters currently in use for users.
- List System views. You can also create a system rule or a rule template from a system view. It is also possible to update an existing system rule or rule template from a system view.
- List users: This action will replace all synchronization rules for the selected user(s) with the organization’s default local data rules. Any user-created rules will be removed.
As you can see, you will be able to manage synchronization filters, which was not possible before without writing your own code.
- To list user’s synchronization rules, your user must have prvAdminFilter privilege
- Listing user’s synchronization rules can take a lot of time since a query must be executed for each user and each filter type (Outlook and Offline).
As usual, the toolbox is available on CodePlex
If the new tool helps you and you are happy with it, you can help me by making a donation (Go to sponsor page)